- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 8 Oz. Trumpet Royale, Brown Clamshell, Forest Nameko, and or Velvet Pioppini mushrooms chopped roughly
- 1 Teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried thyme leaf
- 2 Tablespoons sherry, madeira or port wine
- Generous pinch of each; nutmeg, allspice and cayenne
- 1/2 Cup lightly toasted, preferably unsalted, almonds or cashews
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tablespoons finely minced Italian parsley
- Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over moderate heat. Add the shallots, garlic, mushrooms and thyme. Cook five minutes, stirring occasionally. Add nutmeg, allspice. cayenne and wine. Simmer until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Transfer to a food processor along with the nuts and pulse until smooth. Finish with salt and pepper to taste and fresh parsley. Pack into a bowl or ramekin to chill. Serve as a spread with bread or crackers.